Thursday, August 18, 2011

A royal journey



The forest is filled with its lush greenery every where Appu loves to play here. The river cuts through the forest with its crystal clear waters reflecting like sparkling jewels. This river has been gods blessing on our village. Its water has been a primary source of water supply since ages. The fishes in the river are the only hope of decent meal during the rains. Today the sky has its dark clouds hovering on the entire village. The baby sparrows are grown and are making a lot of noise. The mother has got some fresh supply of worms. This summer the mango tree gave many sweet mangoes. We feasted on them for weeks. Every tree in this forest has been Appu and my friend. We have grown playing with all the trees. No lad in the village knows about this forest the way I know about it.I know where exactly do we find the bigger fishes in the river. I even know the flowering and fruit bearing tree cycle. The reason why I am so close to the forest is Appu. Appu is the closest friend I could ever have. We are like one soul in two different bodies. Staring at the river I can see papa is busy with his sheep's grazing over the river bed. I need to tell him that it is going to rain. Appu seems least interested in leaving the forest. I will leave him and go with papa home. Appu will see Padma and come behind her. Chintu what are you doing in the forest? Papa I came with Appu here. The school left us early and Appu wanted to have a bath in the river. I have told you that you must not waste time in the forest. I was going to take Padma for a bath. I would have taken Appu also. Where is Padma? She is unwell. I have kept her in the shed. Chintu go get Appu we need to go home. Yes papa. I will go and fetch that useless elephant. Appu you need to walk fast papa is calling. Chintu sat on Appu and went towards his house. Papa came with his sheep along. Appu was a very good elephant he always obeyed me. Though he liked the forest he would leave it when ever I told him to. I knew one thing Appu loved me the same way as I loved him. My family always looks after elephants. My ancestors use to train elephants for the kings ride. The biggest elephants were given to the king. Our family’s job was to train the elephant and groom them. My family and Appu’s family have a very deep bond Abolishment of monarchy has put my family out of are business.My father wanted to give Padma to the local minister so that he would use Padma for the rally. Animal right activist opposed this idea. The animal right activists do not understand that these elephant had a duty to fulfill. They were not like their stray fellows. These elephants have been looked after my fore fathers since ages to serve the king. As Appu is the last elephant from the pure breed. I wont at least Appu should find a king to ride on him. I hope that some day a king will ride on him fulfilling his duty.

1 comment:

About Me

My photo
Everything and anything can inspire me.

Followers